Sunday, November 25, 2007

What the Adventure Looks Like Now...


So, to have an adventure, something has to start it. The something in this case is a somewhat the worse for wear W1 650 currently located in central eastern Ohio, pictured here. It has a seat but apparently the seller didn't consider the seat to be an asset in terms of sales presentation - not that I care. I already have another stock seat. I've been watching the market for a couple of years now and finally had the money rounded up to give something a shot. Given my mechanical skills and tools, background with these machines, and the fact that I still have my factory shop manuals I was looking for something relatively complete but not necessarily pristine. This bike looked like a good prospect so I went after it. There was the expected pitched bidding battle in the last couple of minutes but (as eBay has been promoting for the last couple of months) I "shopped victoriously". Now the challenge of getting it here from Ohio. It's indoors and so it's not getting any worse and the fellow who's got it has been very supportive (mainly because he's got bigger fish to fry right now) which is appreciated. Been looking at different options for a couple of months. My used car buddy said he could get it here cheap ... but that hasn't happened.Don't have any time off I can use to drive out and get it right now. I'm considering uShip, a reader of this new blog has referred me to Forward Air, and I'm on hold as I write this with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers)... as a matter of fact it's the second hold after they disconnected me the first time. Side note: Have you ever noticed how people get in business, put their shingle out, and then aren't prepared to actually talk to you and do a deal when you need them to? Like their not really serious about the whole "business" thing? Anyway, if anyone has any other bright ideas, feel free to let me know with a post or an email. On the blog development - I've added a number of links on the right and would be glad to list any more that make sense. Let me know about sources, parts, people, or places and I'll check 'em out. Thanks

No comments: