Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Adventure Begins...Again!

Hi folks,
The last time I was actively riding a W2 650 Kawasaki I was in Japan and the blogosphere didn't exist. For that matter the web didn't exist. I was still reverse engineering code from Tektronics scientific work stations and HP equipment and modifying submarine routines to solve surface warfare problems. I started my Japanese motorcycle experience with a 350 Honda, rapidly moved up to the W2 650 and, in the course of events, was riding a BMW R75/6 and a Yamaha XS 11 Street Special. I never got tired of the (at that time not so old) Kawasaki though, and when my time came to return to the United States I shipped my 650 back to the states only to find that customs had impounded it and required a $700 bond be posted to insure that it would be modified to meet US safety standards. The only modification required was to change the headlight and bulb (about a $50 mod) but I couldn't get the bike out of impound to change it without posting the $700 bond. Needless to say, I didn't have $700. Sailor's still don't make much money and they didn't make didly back then. The bike was undoubtedly auctioned off to some San Diego scrapyard where it may be to this day... although one would like to think it had a nobler end. So... the years have passed and I am now the proud owner of another Kawasaki 650 twin - this time a W1 through the magic of eBay. Still have to fetch it to California from Ohio but it's mine! So this blog will be about the adventures of getting it here and restoring it to it's former glory, a place to solve 650 twin or restoration problems, share knowledge of parts, post links to other resources, and give W Series Kawasaki vertical twin 650 owners a place to connect up. To my best knowledge there is no other such location on the web as we speak. So, welcome all you denizens of the global economy who have, want to have, ride, or restore Kawasaki W Series 650 motorcycles. Long live the Kawasaki Ro Pyak Go Ju (that's 650 in the romaji form of Japanese :-)

No comments: