Monday, December 10, 2007

The Journey of One Thousand Miles Starts ...

...when the shipper picks up the bike! Which thankfully one finally has. After being quoted in the mid-$900s for shipping from DAS and contemplating the running around I'd have to do to accommodate the requirements of Forward Air, I finally went to uShip (www.uship.com). I've used uShip before with good results but not for something like this. My listing specified that the bike is rolling, steerable, and has brakes but doesn't run. Turns out they have a number of shippers who handle and/or specialize in motorcycles and after a couple of bids came in at my target price of $600 (and a false start with one shipper who wanted a fast committment but then couldn't cover his own agreed pickup arrangements) I got lined up with John Magada who wholesales motorcycles and is constantly hauling bikes around the country. It's been a great experience so far. He picked up the bike when and where he said he would (Dec 1st), has stayed in touch throughout, and we are due for delivery this week - Wednesday or Thursday. So far so good!

In other notes I've added a few more parts sources and added a link to uShip as well under Hot Links. I'm exploring the availability of photo album functionality via Blogspot so I can start to post pictures of bikes and parts diagrams. The adventure continues...

No comments: